News Flash

News & Announcements

Posted on: May 17, 2021


Need help catching up on your utility bill

The Arkansas Utility Relief Program applications are NOW OPEN! Funding can be applied to past utility bills up to 15 months between April 1, 2020, and December 31, 2021. 

The Arkansas Rent Relief Program offers financial help to pay overdue and upcoming rent and utilities for eligible Arkansas renters. Landlords who have tenants unable to pay their rent because of lost income or the COVID-10 pandemic also may apply.  

The state of Arkansas has $173 million of federal funding for the Arkansas Rent Relief Program. Once an application is approved, money would go directly to landlords and utilities companies.

What’s Covered?

  • Overdue rent plus up to 5 percent of late fees dating back to April 1, 2020.
  • Overdue utility bills for gas, water, and electricity. This program does not cover overdue phone or internet bills.
  • Future rent owed through December 31, 2021. Renters can apply for up to three months of future rent at a time.
  • Up to 15 months of rent may be covered between April 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021.

You may qualify for help paying your rent and utilities if:

  • Someone in your home qualifies for unemployment benefits OR
  • Your household income decreased during the pandemic OR
  • Someone in your home suffered significant financial hardship due to the pandemic (i.e. lost a job, has extensive medical bills) AND
  • You meet income eligibility based on the residing county (Area Median Income) and number of people in your home. A chart of Area Median Income by county is below.

Renter Requirements
Renters need the following items to submit a request for utility or rent relief funding: 

  • Government-issued photo ID (i.e. driver’s license, state identification card)
  • Proof of renting a home in Arkansas
  • Proof of housing instability
  • Proof of income for everyone in your home who file taxes
  • Proof of financial loss of hardship due to COVID-19
  • Landlord’s email and phone number

Find more information on required documents in the resources section below.

Landlord Requirements
Landlords need the following documentation to submit a request for rent relief funding:

  • Copy of lease
  • Government issued photo ID
  • Tenant’s email and phone number

Apply Here

Need Help?

Call 855.RENTARK (855.736.8275) if you need help submitting your application or have questions. Representatives are available Monday – Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. DHS also has partnered with community organizations statewide that can help you submit your application.

Apply Now
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in News & Announcements

City of West Memphis On Demand Survey

West Memphis We Need Your Help?

Posted on: May 26, 2021

West Memphis I-40 Megasite

Posted on: April 29, 2021
Updates from Governor Hutchinson

Updates from Governor Hutchinson

Posted on: October 5, 2020